What if they say… What do you think about gay marriage?
I don’t like Christian views on homosexuality.
When talking about this issue, it’s important to be gracious; speak the truth but with the love of Christ.
You can say (in your own words):
Too often Christian views on homosexuality come across as mean and disrespectful – even if they aren’t intended to be.
- I hope I don’t come across that way.
The Bible clearly instructs us to “love people but despise sin”. That’s what we need to do.
In the Bible, it is God, not man, who calls the acts of homosexuality a sin.
- God loves homosexuals. The challenge for Christians is agreeing with God that these are acts of sin WITHOUT seeming to hate the person.
And in the Bible, God provides guidelines for what is best for people and society, for example:
- Don’t lie, steal, murder, etc.
- Be kind, generous, help others, etc.
- In regards to marriage (and sex): God says in His Word, between one man and one woman.
We all can choose to DISREGARD God’s clearly revealed guidelines BUT NOT WITHOUT ITS CONSEQUENCES, for example:
- Aids/STD’s rapidly spreading among active homosexuals and the sexually promiscuous
- To disregard God’s guidelines is like driving on the wrong side of the road! It will have its consequences.
However, the bottom line is this:
We all have a problem – sin. (Sin = anything we think, say, do or don’t do that does not please God.)
BUT God, in His amazing love for you and me, SOLVED OUR PROBLEM. May I share with you how God did this?